10. You get to play games like Name that Crop and Count the Above Ground Swimming Pools.
9. You experience the smell of many controlled brush fires.
8. When you gotta go and there is no stop in sight for miles you get to create your own outhouse.
7. Seeing the old farm houses and churches.
6. Seeing the billboards for the churches and getting the scoop on uncoming events such as the Revival in Tuckerman. In the words of Shane, "You gotta love the scheduled revival!!!"
5. When hunger strikes you have the choice of stopping at a Town & Country grocery store or a gas station.
4. When we get ready to buy a black angus cow or a llama we now have a name & number of a guy who sells them.
3. Likewise, when we get ready to buy a pick-up we know the exact make, model and color we'll choose.
2. Our family is well educated about the differences between excavators, combines and the classic John Deere.
1. You get to listen to country music to make the trip complete. When a new song comes on like International Harvester, you know exactly what the guy is singing about. Here are the lyrics to one of the funniest songs we've enjoyed in awhile.
I’m the son of a 3rd generation farmer
I’ve been married 10 years to the farmer’s daughter
I’m a God fearin’ hard workin’ combine driver
Hoggin’ up the road on my p-p-p-p-plower
Chug a lug a luggin’ 5 miles an hour
On my International Harvester
Three miles of cars layin’ on their horns
Fallin’ on deaf ears of corn
Lined up behind me like a big parade
Of late to work road raged jerks
Shoutin’ obscene words flippin’ me the bird
Well you may be on a state paved road
But that blacktop runs through my payload
Excuse me for tryin’ to do my job
But this year ain’t been no bumper crop
If you don’t like the way I’m a drivin’
Get back on the interstate
Otherwise sit tight and be nice
And quit yer honkin’ at me
Well I know you got your own deadlines
But cussin’ me ain’t savin’ no time hoss
This big-wheeled wide load ain’t goin’ any faster
So just smile and wave and tip your hat
To the man up on the tractor
Funny stuff and nice use of the word hoss. We love the line about lining up behind me like a parade.And it tickles the boys to death when a John Deere driver waves back. Oh my. Shane's mom retired this weekend so we went to surprise her and had a really great time! It was a great trip!