onion (very, very finely chopped, you want em' disappearing so the fam doesn't know they're their, this ingredient is between me, you and God, k?)
white sauce basic recipe for 1 cup:
2 TBS Butter
2 TBS flour
1 Cup milk
cheddar cheese, mozzarella, pepper jack (any kind you love and have on hand!)
bacon (if you have it, yum, the crisper the better)
a little dash of pepper to top it off & make it look purty
1) add diced taters, onion (shh), salt, pepper, cover with chicken broth. bring to a boil, cover, turn down heat & simmer until taters are soft, stirring occasionally.
2) meanwhile, start making your white, cream sauce. you're gonna want 3-4 cups of the cream sauce, so just adjust the basic recipe as necessary. (for 3 cups of cream sauce you're gonna use 6 TBS Butter, 6 TBS flour, 3 cups milk) (the key to great sauce is continual stirring so you don't burn it)
- melt butter in saucepan over med-hi heat
- whisk in flour, whisk until smooth paste forms
- whisk in milk
- whisk continually until white, cream sauce forms
- you will know this is thick when you dip a spoon in the sauce and the sauce sticks to the spoon
- season with salt, pepper, cheeses of your choice
3) when potatoes are soft, add cream sauce to pan and turn off heat. the longer it sits the thicker the soup becomes. depending on how bad the kids are screaming that they're gonna die if they don't eat soon, 10 minutes of sitting in the pan is ideal.
4) we garnish each bowl with desired toppings. this dinner is perfect served with salad & garlic bread.
*this is a very simple recipe that can be on the table in 30 minutes*
*don't let the cream sauce scare you away! once you know this recipe you can make homeade mac & cheese too! make the cheese sauce and put over noodles. it's going to be life changing for you, i just know it*