Monday, February 22, 2010

Closet Talk

Welcome to Closet Talk. Today we are talking all things Closet. First off-if you are reading this and you have a system you use to manage your closet, please leave a comment to give us some tips. Now, for the rest of us, let's get crackin'.
First, ask yourself, What is it that annoys me the most about my closet? Clothes on the floor? Too many hangers, not enough space to hang things? Hangers whompy-jawwed because clothes were taken off carelessly? (this is my personal thing that bugs me the most-well, besides not being able to see the closet floor).
That is your starting point.
Too much stuff, something needs to go

This is a picture of clothes I got rid off in my declutter. I'll tell you how I did it in a minute. There was Ann Taylor, Talbots & Harold's in this stuff. That =expensive stuff. But, I wasn't wearing it and I got ruthless and it felt great.

I like to organize my clothes by type. Dress pants, jeans, short sleeve shirts, nice short sleeve shirts, jackets, skirts, etc...


Sometimes stuff is just too far gone to give away. This was a SUPER cute pants suit. Black with large white stitching. Too say I loved it would be an under-statement. And it is not all that old. It was adorable I tell you. The problem? Fuzz balls. And it had started to look ratty. So, I tossed it. Hard, heck yeah. But I didn't need to be wearing it all worn out like that. And if it was still hanging in my closet I'd be tempted.


Do you need to downsize? I want you to ask yourself some questions while you're in there. Don't come out of the closet until you've been honest with yourself.

Does this fit?

Is it still cute? (a friend can help be honest here, seriously)
Does it have fuzz balls? Stains? Rips?

Does it fit? I know girl, you're in denial just like the rest of us which is why I have to ask again. If it is too big or too little get rid of it. Both extremes make you look sloppy and both extremes are unbecoming. I love you that's why we're keeping it real.

Have you worn it in the last 3-6 months. Painful I know. A ruthless declutter will make you smile. I don't care if it came from Ann Taylor loft and you paid $56 for it. If you don't use it now-out it goes. Don't be a hoarder of stuff. It robs your life of peace.
Set your timer for 30 minutes. When the microwave beeps you have a choice. Keep going or stop. Either way you are going to love the sense of accomplishment you feel.
On your mark...get set...GO!