Monday, May 25, 2009

Intentional Relationships

Family friendships have been very heavy on my heart lately. It's like I looked up one day and thought, "Huh, Shane and I have friendships with people, but as a family, we really have not taken the time to foster and cultivate friendships with other families."

There is a verse in Hebrews 10:24 (i think) that talks about how we should not give up meeting together, but need to be encouraging one another in the Lord. I have an entire laundry list of reasons why it is difficult to spend time with others. We've been under the weather health wise lots lately, I'm tired, I want the time with just the 5 of us when we can get it, and on and on and on.

The bottom line for me though is that I feel like the Lord has given us an instruction in His Word to make time for others. We sat down several weeks ago and evaluated how we are spending our time. Our heart right now is to be spending our time as a family spending time with other families. Dropping my kiddos off with a baby sitter while we cultivate friendships used to be OK with me. God has put such a deep conviction in my heart that for right now and this season he wants us spending time as a family.

We are deeply enjoying some of the changes God has brought about in our time. Shane is playing softball. Afterwards, we as a team go to McDonald's for $1 sundaes. The men play, the wives talk, and the kids play, and it is all outside in the fresh air. We had the team over Friday night for Coke floats. Simple, easy, everyone brought a lawn chair and we sat in the backyard while the kids played.

Yesterday last minute we decided to have a new family in the church over for Pancakes, Bacon & Orange Spritzers. Nothing fancy but that is not the goal of how we want to be spending our time. We had a wonderful time sitting around the kitchen table visiting while our kids played.

I don't want to miss out of the blessing of establishing relationships with godly families because I was too busy with other stuff not to stop.

Beware of the barrenness of a busy life.
-Socrates

5 comments:

Jenny said...

VERY true... LOVE the post... Let's get together with the family :)

april said...

I really needed this today. Thank you!!!

the Fosters said...

Sometimes it just takes a little effort and jump out of our comfort zone! Way to initiate get togethers!!

heather said...

That is a GREAT quote! I'm totally going to steal that!

Yes, we have some damage but we're still trying to figure it all out. Funny thing is, we're not in a flood plain, we do live on a hill, and we lived in a flood plain for 3 years, paid major money for flood insurance and never had a drop of water. Nice...

Amy said...

This is such a great post! I find Jason and I are in the same rut(should I say). It is just so much easier and relaxing to hang out at home with just the family. No worries about cleaning up, packing a diaper bag/toys etc. We really need to do better!