Monday, August 13, 2012

Weight Watchers I

Our goals meeting did not go well last night.  The kids were in bed and we sat with glasses of sparkling cider discussing our vision for the next 3 months.

Getting healthy.

At the top of the list.

He asked if I'd stop buying chips and cookies.

I exploded.

What I heard was, "You are buying horrible foods and bringing them in the house and that is why we can't loose weight".  Poor guy.  It was bad.  The fact that I'm Pms-ing, on steroids for an ear infection and that we're dealing with re-transitioning to life together after a summer apart, did nothing to help the situation.

That little blow up landed me at my very first Weight Watchers meeting.  If I can go to North Carolina by myself for 4 days I figured I could walk into a Weight Watchers meeting.  It was last minute and I ate a huge bowl of ice cream before I went.

I signed up for the next 14 weeks.  Paid.  Weighed.  Took my seat.  On the very back row.  Sitting smug and a little irritated about my Size 14 shorts fitting tightly.  The youngest person in the room.  The women talked and I judged.  Thoughts like, "This is going to be a waste of time and money" filled my mind.

The leader shared a recipe.  Sounds awful to me.  A diet pie?  No thank you.  I'd rather have a helping of good old fashioned air.  Then she said the whole pie was only 2 points.

Smug little me perked up a bit then.  You know, I did just sign myself up to come here and weigh every week for the next 3 1/2 months and I might be getting hungry and the idea of an entire pie only being 2 points is something homegirl should be taking notes about.

I'll be sharing what I'm learning about getting healthy here at Bugs & Sunshine over the next weeks.  What I really wanted to do was take a diet pill to loose the weight.  I've never done that but it sure sounded easy.  The problem is, the minute you stop the pill the weight comes back on.

I could stop buying chips and cookies but we'd still probably be overweight.  We'll see what happens over the next weeks.  I hope you'll join me on my journey!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really proud of You!!! Good for you all for doing this now - if I had known years ago that the choices I made then would have such an effect on me now, I like to think I'd have made much better choices.

I'm on board - you'll have some work to do to keep me on track because you KNOW about my love affair with chips and cookies and ice cream and chocolate and cokes and do they all really start with "C" ????

"C"heering for Ya with LOVE!!!

Y'Mama

Kellie said...

I think it is in the genes...It has been a struggle all of my life! I started a serious fight with the weight 2 years ago...this time last year I had lost 60 pounds...and I just celebrated losing 15 more this past year. I was just thrilled not to have gained it back! Because when I gain it back it brings friends! I have found that anything that is based on the food behaving doesn't work for me...I have to focus on me and making choices that I know I can live by...and to tell you the truth...still to this day...if I knew I only had a short time left, I would start chowing down! :) Sadly to say in my mid 40s I am probably healthier than I have ever been! I excercise everyday (I am not addicted to it...believe me) I hate it more and more each day...but I put my shoes on and put one foot in front of the other - throw a little Casting Crowns or Mercy Me on the ole iPod and take off and turn it into my quiet time...so I stay more dedicated to following through on that...so there is a bonus. So I will pick a song for you on my iPod and pray for you and your efforts when I hear it! -Love ya - Kellie