Monday, March 5, 2012

Laundry Soap-$16.00

I went to this site and got a new recipe for laundry soap.  The grand total rang up to under $20 for all the ingredients needed.  This girl did 8 loads of laundry a week and it this batch lasted her 9 months.  For under $20!  I timed myself and it took me under 15 minutes to mix the powders and grate the soap.

Our local Wal-Mart has been carrying all these ingredients on the laundry soap aisle.  BUT, they were out of Borax and Fels-Naptha today.  Seems we're all going granola around here.  They'll be getting more ingredients in within the week.

Grating your soap is the most time consuming part.  The soaps recommended were Fels-Naptha, Zote or Ivory.  I chose 3 bars of Fels-Naptha.  It smells GREAT.  You literally mix a box of Super Washing Soda,  a big box of Baking Soda, a box of Borax, 2 boxes of Oxyclean (I used off brand), and 3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap (grated).


A little scoop came in my Oxyclean (1 Tablespoon).  You put 1 TBSP into each load and that is it.

I used 2 big bowls to mix my powders and soap, then put it into my empty Tide box.


This is what it looked like in the water.


Not soapy or sudsy.  I wandered how I would feel about that but after putting in all the Oxyclean and baking soda it feels like it is going to be awesome!


1 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the detergent isle
1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) found in the cooking isle
1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent isle
3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap, found in the detergent isle
2 small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean (try to get about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg)) found in the detergent isle.

(this is optional, I added it into mine because I have pretty messy kids and the cleaner the better)

(you can also use pink Zote soap instead of Fels-Naptha. I had really wanted to but could not find it anywhere) **Update: My sister found pink Zote soap at Home Depot**



1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Girl. I think we were separated at birth.
Today I decided (while doing my laundry) to jump on the make-my-own-detergent train. I'm even going to try the dishwasher detergent! Waiting until pay day to buy the supplies, but I'm DOING IT!