Monday, November 14, 2011

The Laundry Monster

This first picture has nothing to do with The Laundry Monster, but did you see the moon this weekend?  It was spectacular!
Every Monday is my day to tackle The Laundry Monster.  I rebelled against the idea of having a designated day for certain chores for a really long time.  The idea felt restrictive to me and my free spirit self.  But then I was reminded of the definition of insanity-doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Not having a system was yielding me one result-the laundry was always out of control, unmanageable and a source of frustration.
At first, having a certain day of the week (for me, Monday) to do laundry was not easy.  It did not come natural.  But, by the 3rd week of tackling the main load of laundry on Monday I began to notice some things.

For starters, Monday rolls around each and every week.  Like clockwork.  It has become routine.  I don't even have to think about it any more.  At my house, when Monday morning rolls around, I unearth the hamper, sort into piles and get the hot water and good times rolling.

My laundry is always kept manageable.  For me, Friday mornings are also a mini-laundry morning.  For you, every day may have at least a load or two in it's horizon.  Having a day or time to do the main laundry is helpful.  If you try it for a few weeks, I think you'll like the change of having the mound kept at bay.

This morning I awoke to 9 loads waiting on me after a weekend of camping.  By camping of course I mean I slept in a cabin while my boys slept in a bat cave, but whatever, potato, patotoe.  Knowing my routine allowed me to jump in with a cheerful heart and get things going.

Do you know that this last picture means?  It's our little signal that someone has already put in the fabric softener.   At our house, if you put in the fabric softener, you leave the jug on top of the washing machine so we know it's been taken care of.  I know, sheer genius, what can I say?

No comments: