Friday, December 31, 2010

Chicken, Bacon & Monterrey Jack Quesadillas

Before I give you this recipe we have to talk bacon.  After our Bacon Talk last time, I personally, have taken Paige's advice and would like to teach you how.  Put bacon on a Pampered Chef bar pan (I used a plain cookie sheet because it is what I had).  Put it in a COLD oven.  Turn up heat to 425.  Set timer for 25 minutes.  I left mine in a tad longer because I love me some excessive crunch.  Remove it to a paper towel lined plate and use when ready.  Orrrrr you can buy a bag of real bacon bits at the store. 

Next, roast your chicken instead of boiling it.  I know you are afraid of this but trust me, it will work and you will love me forever because your chicken will be flavorful, golden brown on the outside, and perfect on the inside and you'll be the talk of the town because you roast chicken instead of boiling it.  Preheat oven to 375.  Place chicken on a cookie sheet.  Brush or rub with olive oil, salt and pepper generously.  Roast (bake) for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through.  Let rest for 10-15 minutes then dice.

2-3 Chicken Breasts, cooked and cubed
1 pkg McCormick dry chicken fajita seasoning mix
1 T vegetable oil
2 green peppers, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
10 10inch flour tortillas
1 8oz package shredded cheddar
1 T crumbled bacon (proper Southern cooks use lots more than this)
1 8oz shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

Combine chicken with fajita seasoning.  Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.  Saute' peppers and onions and then add chicken to heat. 

Layer 1/2 of each tortilla with cheddar cheese, chicken mixture and bacon.  Top with Monterrey jack cheese.  Fold the tortillas.  Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.


(I assemble mine different...one entire tortilla, topped with filling and another tortilla, cooked in a skillet sprayed with Pam, browned on both sides, then transferred to a warm oven to stay warm while the others cook.  I like mine golden brown on both sides)

Serve with sour cream, salsa and guacamole.

Anna's Salsa
1 large can whole tomatoes
1/2 yellow onion  (I use a whole one!)
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
salt to taste (don't be shy)

Add to food processor and blend well.  Chill well before serving.  Slap yo' mama and enjoy.
This recipe is so simple, fresh, and addictive!

Anna's Guacamole
2-3 fresh avocados
1 diced onion
1 diced tomato
fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cloves of minced garlic
juice of a lime
salt
pepper

Cut the avocado in half.  Remove the pit and save.  Take a spoon and scoop avocado into a bowl.  Mash gently with a fork.  Mix in diced onion, tomato, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.  I add the pit back to the Guac because rumor has it that helps it from turning colors on you.  Serve immediately.

5 comments:

Becke' said...

the food is sure looking tasty over there. you know, I think we are due a gno complete with mexican! we should gift ourselves that for the new year.

Paige said...

Recipes look awesome. Gonna try them out. And thanks for toutin' my blog!

Amy said...

I am definitely trying this!! That sounds soooo good. Loving all the new blog posts, Anna! Look at you go!!

Amanda said...

Finally getting around to making these babies! Making them this weekend. And am very.excited.and.hungry:)

Anonymous said...

You got good points there, so I always love your blog, it looks like you are an expert in this field. keep up the fantastic work, My friend recommends your site.

My blog:
credit rachat credit www.rachatdecredit.net