Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Sound Of Music (Apple Dumpling Recipe)

Come on Thursday night, would you get here already?  We are super excited about the LIVE production of The Sound Of Music tomorrow night on TV.


The Menu
 
Wiener Schnitzel
German Fries
Crisp Apple Strudel

We are making an evening of it.  Musicals are my all time favorite.  I grew up singing.  From the time my sister and I were little, we sang in a little group.  As I got older, I had the privilege of singing with All-Region Choirs, All-State Choirs, Symphony's...I went to college on a music scholarship...I love music.  My all time favorite music is musicals.

We've seen Phantom of the Opera at the Orpheum in Memphis and Les Miserable on Broadway in New York.  Musically, my favorite is My Fair Lady, I love the songs.  The Sound of Music is in my top 5 though and that is why I am so super excited to see it LIVE tomorrow evening.

So, let me tell you about the menu and share a recipe with you.

Wiener Schnitzel
 
Traditionally, Wiener Schnitzel is a breaded thin cutlet of veal.  I'm not your animal activist friend, but even I won't eat veal. For our Wiender Schnitzel's, we are going with the Oscar Meyer all beef frankfurter. 


German Fries
 
I am hoping the French don't mind if we change the name of their fry for one evening.  I cook these a few minutes longer than the directions say because it makes them extra crispy.
Crisp Apple Strudel
 
I'm Southern, so the way I translate Crisp Apple Strudel is to make a pan of my Apple Dumplings.  When the boys helped me unload the groceries, they immediately spied the 20oz bottle of Mountain Dew and cheers broke forth in the garage..."Yay!!!!  Apple Dumplings!!!"  They know what a bag of Granny Smith's and a bottle of Mountain Dew means...here is my recipe.

  • 2 (8 count) cans crescent rolls
  • 3 -4 granny smith apples
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar (sometimes I use a little less)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 (12 ounce) cans Mountain Dew soda

 Directions:

  1. Spray a 13x9 baking dish or pan.
  2. Peel and slice apples into 16 pieces.
  3. Roll each apple slice in 1 section of crescent roll.
  4. Place rolled slices in pan in two rows, put extras along side.
  5. Melt butter, add sugar and cinnamon and pour over apples.
  6. Pour can of Mountain Dew over all.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
 

No comments: