Thursday, December 19, 2013

Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo

I was lounging on the couch enjoying the lights on the tree when I looked at my watch and realized it was 5:15.  Hmmm...someone should really start thinking about getting dinner together.  I pinned this recipe for tonight's dinner and headed into the kitchen to get started.  Ya'll.  I had no idea it was going to be so insanely delish.  Like, I'm talking after one taste test I had to get the tablecloth and candles out.


Good as in restaurant quality good.  As I poured a pint of heavy whipping cream into the pan and my heart started skipping a joyful beat I had a hunch we were heading in the right direction, but still, little did I know.


I thought I had a great fettuccine recipe until I met this one.  Paired with a loaf of French bread and a salad, we had a dinner fit for a king.


Oh, it keeps getting better.  The entire dish is made in one pan.  Have you ever???? And, you can easily have this meal on the table in under 45 minutes.


I used chicken like her recipe said, but honestly, it would have been every bit as good without the chicken.  And when I cook with chicken I follow the example of Jesus.  I'm like, Lord, multiply these three breasts to feed the multitudes, hallelujah amen.  Now I'm just feeling awkward because I used the word breasts in a pasta post but I didn't know how else to tell you it wasn't tenderloins that I used.  Geesh. 

There is something else you need to know.  This is SUPER important.  You can't gloss over it or forget what I am about to tell you because it will make all the different in the world on whether your batch of Alfredo turns out to be award winning.  Are you ready?  There are 2 things you need to know.

  1. Use fresh Parmesan.  I used a 5oz block.  It comes in the shape of a triangle.  Use the entire block.  Don't go Kraft green can.  Promise me.  I'm serious.
  2. Use fresh garlic.  So help me, if you use powder and then come back crying to me that your dish was a flop, I can't help you.  When you press your own fresh garlic into the dish, it releases all the flavorful oils into your dish.  That is when people start thinking you are the next Food Network Star.

Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
 
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into cubes
3 T olive oil
2 cloves fresh minced garlic
2 14oz cans chicken broth
16 oz heavy whipping cream (one pint)
12 oz bag uncooked penne pasta
5 oz block fresh Parmesan
salt, pepper, parsley

Saute' the diced chicken over med-hi heat, turn heat to low and add garlic.  Saute' a minute.  Add chicken broth, uncooked pasta and cream.  Cover pan, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and stir to melt (I just used a knife and thinly shredded the cheese directly over the pan).  Add salt, pepper and parsley to taste.

No comments: