Thursday, May 10, 2012

Motherhood As A Ministry?

Do you know the startling statistic that 2 out of 3 young people are leaving the church?

I'm talking about church raised 20 somethings who leave home and leave the church with it.

If you have 3 children, statistics say that 2 of them will leave the church when they are in their 20's.

It is time for us to wake up.  As Christian Mothers we have a huge opportunity to try to make a difference.  There are no guarantees but that is no excuse not to try.  As I think about my role as a Mother do you know what keeps coming to mind?

Speak truth directly from the pages of Scripture to my children.  My words may return to me empty, but God's never return to Him empty.  They accomplish the purpose He desires.  Even if they are 2 years old and don't understand.  Even if they are 17 and you think it's too late to start.  You know what my wise friend told me?

Satan's word is TOMORROW
God's word is TODAY

The enemy knows if he can plant the seed that it is too late in your mind he's got you.  He knows if he can make you feel like you've already failed, you will say what's the use in trying.  You stand defeated when you listen to the lies.

Start small.  Put a Bible on your kitchen table.  Tonight after dinner read a Psalm.  Read it during dinner.  Read it at breakfast as they eat cereal.  Read any part of Scripture.  Don't get caught up in reading the "right" passage.  Well, Leviticus may freak em' out a bit, but whatever.

Try reading from Psalms.

Proverbs has 31 Chapters.  Today is May 10th.  Read Proverbs 10.

So, Motherhood as a ministry?  I think so.  We have opportunity to make a difference.  Start today by reading Scripture out loud to your kiddos.


No comments: