Thursday, January 7, 2010

Layer The Flavor


I've been enjoying my new cookbook, Mastering The Art Of French Cooking by Julia Child.
There are some very simple things I am learning about making dishes more flavorful I wanted to share with you today.
The first thing that is making a huge difference between an OK flavor and an Amazing flavor is layering the seasoning. Season as you go. Taste as you go. There are also some techniques I'm learning that are making big differences.
Did you know if you crowd your pan when you are browning meats or sauteing veggies that they won't saute' correctly? So, next time you saute' don't crowd your pan and the results will be perfect.

Another thing I've learned is if you are browning meat you have to pat it dry with a paper towel first if you want it to brown perfectly.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I really enjoyed this post. I have this cookbook -- was so excited to get a copy after seeing the movie Julie & Julia. But, I've found that the recipes are so complicated, and haven't made anything yet. You'e found some good tips in here, I'll have to take another look at it.