Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Reset Button


This morning I started out with good intentions.

When I woke up, I pulled the covers up and snuggled into the warm sheets for a few minutes longer.  We've been staying up late watching the Olympics and four of us have come down with little colds, so laying in bed felt really good this morning.  As I laid there in the first moments of the day, I prayed that God would help us order our day in a way that would honor Him.

When I got up things started unraveling pretty quickly.  I'll spare you the details, but the day was not getting off to a good start.

I've learned that I can't give out what I don't have.  With that in mind, I made some breakfast and went into my room to read and pray for a little while.  As I was sitting there with my box of Kleenex feeling so crummy, I was mentally going through my list of things that typically help me get back on track.

For my Bible reading I am in Jeremiah, but today I was more in a Psalms mood so I opened up and started reading.  I was so surprised and so blessed by one verse.  This one verse was so encouraging to me and it completely re-routed my focus.

"For I will not trust in my bow, nor will my sword save me."  Ps. 44:6

Those words helped me hit the reset button.  While it is true that there are certain things I can do to intentionally, proactively fill my cup, my real trust and strength do not come from my efforts.  They come from looking to Him for my strength.  It is very easy for me to trust in "my bow and my sword,"  those things I know energize and refresh me.

Today I won't get it all checked off the list.  I can't.  Hitting my reset button helped me remember that God is in control of it all today.  I don't have to trust in my own efforts.  They won't save me.

The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, His song will be with me.  To God, my exceeding joy, the God of my strength, His grace is poured out upon us.

No comments: