Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hair Experiment

From time to time I get on a new hair kick.

One year I decided I was going to train my hair to get curly.  So I bought the book, Curly Girl, followed her plan and voila, curly hair was born.  By the way, if you have slightly wavy hair that gets frizzy on a humid day, you can release a the curl with a few weeks of training.

Mine used to be an ugly wave, and now I have perfect ringlets in some places.  The first weeks of any new hair plan are not the prettiest so plan on wearing a bigger than usual pair of earrings to try to compensate for the logistical nightmares you are dealing with.

It seems like a lot of my friends hair have morphed into lovely, long, straight locks lately.  So I have been polling around on the "how often do you shampoo issue."

The results have been about half and half, so I am a little puzzled.  Half of my good hair friends shampoo every day, the other half only shampoo one to two times a week.

Years ago I had a very knowledgeable friend tell me that if I could go 5 straight days in a row without shampooing, then my hair would look amazing and be very healthy looking.

Finding 5 straight days in a row where you can have nappy hair is no easy feat.  But I did it, and she was right.  The day I finally got to wash my hair it looked amazing.  People even commented on my hair the day I finally got to wash it.

Hair has never been my strong suit.  I can do makeup, I can't do hair.  I can't wrap pretty gifts either.  My sister got those good genes.  Her hair and gifts always make the rest of us look like a bunch of losers.

Today I am on day 3 of no washing.  I could make it to day 5 except for the fact that we have an outing with church folk tomorrow night.  It is hard to imagine that I won't break down and wash it for our gathering.  This issue is consuming a lot of my brain space right now.  Because if I can make it through tomorrow night then I can for sure make it to Saturday.

My girlfriend who only washes twice a week told me about her experience when she broke off from the every day shampoo.  She said one summer she just decided to go for it.  She endured the first couple weeks of gross hair and then everything evened out.  Now she washes her hair on Wednesdays and Sundays.  And her hair is long and gorgeous.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Wow. I am an everyday-washer. I can't imagine the funk my head would contain (grease) by the end of 5 days, let alone the smell. I wonder what the difference would be for dry hair and greasy hair girls. My mom could go 2wks and never get moist. I'm interested to hear how your expirament turns out.

Gretchen said...

Wow. I am an everyday-washer. I can't imagine the funk my head would contain (grease) by the end of 5 days, let alone the smell. I wonder what the difference would be for dry hair and greasy hair girls. My mom could go 2wks and never get moist. I'm interested to hear how your expirament turns out.